Thursday, March 05, 2015

Relying on God’s Providence


What does it really mean when one says to Rely on God’s Providence?

What does it take to truly trust in times of lack and to focus on God as the source of all blessings?





I do not come from a well-to-do family.  As far as I can recall, we were always financially troubled. I remember daily measured meals, very little baon for school that left me and my sister hungry all day, delayed payment of our school tuition etc. I remember regularly praying to God that my family’s situation changed and it did years later. Although honestly when it did, I was no longer living in my parents' home (I “left” home when I was 16), and because of this, I really didn’t get to “enjoy” the comforts of not having to worry about money. Sadly, that respite from financial woes was short lived because my Mom was stricken with Cancer and she died 6 to about 7 years after she was diagnosed.

When I left home I was barely 17, just out of high school; and I was pregnant with my first born. I knew that life promised to be much harder because of my situation; little did I know that it was going to get a lot worse because 2 years later, I was a Mom of three; and just aged 20.






Life was much more difficult not only because I already had three kids by the time I was a 19, but also because I was just a high school graduate with virtually no one to turn to, no family to run to for help.  

When I first struck out on my own with my kids in tow, we would eat our meals in plastic bags because we didn't have money to buy plates or utensils. All our rented apartment had was one (single) bed (no, mattress), a fan, and a few of our clothes. No chairs or tables, no stove, no pans; our home was bare.

I remember times when we would eat dried food every day. You know, those tiny dried shrimps you see in the supermarket? We would buy those and fry them with eggs, which would hurt our tongues. We would also regularly have either dried fish or eggs for lunch and dinner. Our “listahan” (list of debts) at the nearby store would reach over a thousand pesos, to the point where the owner of the store refused to allow us to "buy" from her store. I remember having to buy water for bathing and for washing because our water was cut off. I remember not having electricity for over a month. Skipping meals was a regular ritual as I had to have enough money to get home. 





It was so hard to get up in the morning because of all the struggles we were facing every day, and for years. It felt like each day was sucking the life out of me. I would cry at work almost every day (if not every day), begging God that He change our situation because my kids didn’t deserve the life we had. I was quick to remind myself however that there was a very GOOD reason why the Lord blessed me with three amazing kids. The future looked so bleak, but I knew that I wasn't alone. Every time my day would seem unbearable, I would cry to the Lord in prayer; and every single time, He assured me that He was in control






It was so tempting to just lay in bed and feel sorry for myself, but I knew that I coudn't afford to feel sorry for myself because my family was counting on me. I had to work. I prayed every time I was angry. I prayed every time I felt the urge to give up my kids by turning them over to the parents of their father. I even prayed every time I was sad, or hungry, or physically sick. 

What was clear to me was that He was working on my behalf. At every turn, He sent either a friend that would offer to feed me, just when I was so hungry. He sent job offers with higher pay, when our bills were starting to pile up. He sent countless of earthly angels to make me and my family feel that we were not alone. Just when we didn't even have money to buy our next meal, someone would arrive at our doorstep with groceries. He assured me every day that I wasn't alone. He reminded me every day that we were taken care of. 








What I thought were wrong decisions, were blessings in disguise. I look back at my life and I realize that every single thing that happened to us, was a link in a chain, and were all necessary to bring me where I am today. The hand of God was so evident at every chapter of my life that I learned to depend on His Goodness and Generosity, most especially His Mercy. 




Because of all that we have been through, I learned to be content with whatever blessings I had. I started counting my blessings - I always had a good paying job, I was always surrounded by people who never judged me. I was given a partner in life because God said I wasn't meant to be alone. My partner helped me raise my kids and He helped take care of my family. God blessed my kids with talents. God blessed me with talents.




I now have a small business that is financially able to send my kids to good colleges. We still have our financial concerns (who doesn’t?) especially since the cost of a college education has now tripled compared to when I was in school.

In spite of what my kids and I experienced (continue to experience), I believe that God doesn’t want us to suffer. I believe that in order for us to experience the happiness and contentment God wants for us, we have to be committed to a certain process. We must remember pain and difficulties are there to teach us.



Romans 8:28 says that: 
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

I wake up each day knowing that God is causing all things to work together for my good. I am grateful for the “process” I have to go through. From observation, we always experience the hardest before a God-given break though. I keep my mind and my heart open to what God is trying to teach me, what He is trying to do in my life. In spite of still experiencing financial difficulties, my family and I have come a long way! We now live in confidence each day, knowing that the God of all Gods is at work, and that His workmanship in me is unfolding slowly right before our eyes.





It seems in this day and age, there is always something to worry about. We worry a lot about our finances because living has gotten too expensive. We worry about our relationships, our job situations; and a never ending to-do list to name a few. 

Do you know that God knows every single detail and every thought that consumes our lives? He has a great plan for us no matter how overwhelming our situation is.

Sometimes all He asks is that we not worry. All He wants from us is a thankful heart, to be calm and to truly believe that nothing is too great for him.



Do you believe in this? Do you believe that you have a GREAT God?
I sometimes “tell” my problems that I have a BIG God. I try not to say my problems are HUGE (even if they often feel overwhelmingly so!). I always “say” to (my) Debt: Debt! My God is a BIG God!

Phil. 4:8 said that we should fix our thoughts on what we can thank God for, that we shouldn’t focus on the lack; that we should fix our thoughts on what is Good in our life.

Try to speak blessings over your work. Believe and Stand in Faith because Provision will come. As you wait for the manifestation, your faith grows. Know and believe where real help comes from. Run to God.  He is your provider. Do not be afraid or dismayed. Rest in His Goodness & Grace.

John 14:13, 14  - Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it.

John 16:23,24 - Whatever you ask my father in my name, I will do... so that your JOY will be FULL.




Lord, I thank you for beginning a great work in me. No matter how difficult things might seem and no matter if I don't fully understand all that you are doing, I know I can trust you! I choose happiness today for my life because I know you are going to complete the great work in me. I know that I will lack nothing because of your great love and plan for me.

Father, you know every detail that concerns my heart today. You have said that I don’t have to carry these burdens and challenges alone. I am asking you to carry them with me. I thank you for the promise of peace that is beyond human understanding, as I trust in you! 

In Jesus’ name,  

Amen.

  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please check out my last post

Countdown to our 20th Year Anniversary!

Max had an idea for a celebration: In  COVID-19 fashion. for 20 days we will watch a movie per day that represents the last twenty years we ...